Ten All Natural Energizers
Do you ever wish you had more energy? Those in the wellness world rely on a few simple ingredients and strategies to get the most out of their day. Hint: coffee isn’t the only game in town. Try these ten tips to give you a little extra zing during these beautiful days of - you guessed it - spring!
1. Eat Protein at Breakfast. Eggs, steel cut oats, nut butters, Greek yogurt…. these and other sources of protein set you up with a solid foundation and power you through your day without the peaks and valleys of eating only carbs in the morning.
2. Peppermint Essential Oil. Buy a good quality organic brand from the health food store. When your energy dips, put a few drops in your palm and rub your hands vigorously. Cup your hands beneath your nose and breathe deeply. Follow by rubbing behind your ears.
3. Take Vitamin D. 2000 IU daily. Even in summer, many of us are covered up or well doused in sunscreen. Besides the huge health benefits of this mighty little vitamin, it has the added bonus of giving you more energy.
4. Get Fresh Air. Whether it’s a brisk walk outdoors or lounging on a park bench, we all need to get outside, away from electronics, and simply be in the moment. It’s good for the mind, the body, and the soul.
5. Meditate. Speaking of being in the moment, research shows that even 10 minutes of meditation a day gives you clearer thinking and greater energy. So. Just. Unplug…. and breathe.
6. Maca Powder. A root harvested in the Peruvian Andes, Maca is one of nature’s true superfoods. It’s THE go-to energizer in the world of natural supplements, but is also helpful for hormone imbalance, sexual function and anemia. Start slow with this potent powder. A little bit goes a long way.
7. Have An Apple. It may be true that an apple a day keeps the doctor away. They’re the ideal mid-afternoon snack; with loads of Vitamin C and complex carbs, an apple boosts energy and stabilizes blood sugar until dinner time.
8. Matcha Green Tea. Sky-high in antioxidants, Matcha has developed a cult following amongst tea drinkers. Full disclosure: it’s also relatively high in caffeine, but the upside is that it doesn’t deliver the jolt that comes from coffee. Its signature is more a steady mental clarity that lasts for hours after your first cup.
9. Upside Down. Aside from feeling like a kid again, sending your feet up in the air gets the blood flowing to your brain and gives you energy to burn (it’s also great for immunity). The easiest way to do this, short of hitting the jungle gym, is to lie down with your legs up a wall. Relax for a few minutes in this blissful position and I promise you’ll feel amazing.
10. Spend Time With People Who Make You Laugh. Laughter really is the best medicine… and the most fun way to put a spring in your step!